Generosity: Part 2
We have been looking into the Bible and seeing what the Bible says about giving with generosity. It something that is pure and comes from the heart, our heart has to be right with the Lord for these actions to become like breathing, something we don’t even think about.
Let’s look at some more verses that have to do with generosity.
- Attitude matters: Don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves a person who gives cheerfully. 2 Corinthians 9:7
- [Jesus to the rich young ruler] If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. But when the young man heard this he went sadly away because he had many possessions. Matthew 19:21-22
- How we give shows how we feel about God: [Jesus] When the Son of Man comes in His glory…then He will sit upon his glorious throne….Then the king will ay to those on the right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepare for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you feed me. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. Then the righteous ones will reply, Lord when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? And the king will tell them, I assure you, when you did it to one of the least od these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me. Matthew 25:31-40
- But if anyone has enough money to live well, and sees a brother or sister in need and refuses to help-how can God’s love be in that person? 1 John 3:17
- Those who oppress the poor insult their maker, but those who help the poor honor him. Proverbs 14:31
- You much each make up in your mind as to how much you should give…God will generously provide all you need. 2 Corinthians 9:7-9
- Give God the best, not leftovers: Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything your land produces. Proverbs 3:9
- Bring all tithes into the storehouse…Malachi 3:10
- On every Lord’s day each of you should put aside some amount of money in relation to what you have earned and save it for this offering. 1 Corinthians 16:2
- How much to give: If you are really eager to give, it isn’t important how much you are able to give. God wants you to give what you have, not what you don’t have. Of course, I don’t mean you should give so much that you suffer from having too little.
We see so much valuable insight from the Bible in regards to generosity to God and to those in need, that we are God hands and feet to make this world see God. The heart has a lot to do with our actions and our trust in God is also a big part. If we believe God will take care of us, them our heart will be ready and happy to give.
I have personally seen God open doors when my giving is with a pure heart and truly when it’s the amount I should be giving. Treating giving to the Lord’s work and people in need as a task for something that’s not that important or needed is a very shaky understanding of what God wants and expects from His followers.
Posted on June 4, 2015, in What the Bible says about... and tagged attitude, Bible, caring for others, Christian, Christianity, Generosity, God, Jesus, Tithing. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.